Should the pill be broken down to drink?Date: 25/ 02/2019
Many drugs when broken down will break up the release structure, change the pharmacokinetics of the drug, reduce the effectiveness of treatment, poison the user.
According to pharmacist Tran Le Hang, Ho Chi Minh City University of Medicine and Pharmacy, to make the drug to maximize effectiveness, limit side effects, the right use is extremely important. For some special patients such as children, the elderly, people with difficulty swallowing, patients with gastric tube … taking the whole pill is very difficult or impossible. To facilitate the use, the drug is broken, chewed, crushed tablets or open capsules.
However, not all drugs can be broken down. Specifically, the following types of drugs:
Dosage form: Some drugs are formulated in a special form of release of active ingredients compared to conventional forms. This form contains a special thin film or inert frame (matrix) containing the drug.
Slow release form: The drug passes through the stomach intact, only dissolves in the head of the small intestine (duodenum) and eventually releases the intestinal active substance.
Prolonged release form: The drug is formulated with special structural forms that release the active substance during travel in the gastrointestinal tract.
Drug toxicity on contact: For cancer drugs, cytotoxic drugs, immunosuppressants, crushing tablets or opening capsules will disperse powder, contact with skin or mucous membranes. irritation. Some drugs can enter the body of a pregnant woman causing embryonic poisoning.
Nutritional flavors: There are some drugs when broken, crushed, patients will not tolerate the very bitter taste or taste of active ingredients. So, take the pill.
Pharmacist Huynh Thi Hoai Thu, Ho Chi Minh City University of Medicine and Pharmacy Hospital, said the drug has a special dosage form that will have some abbreviations attached for easy identification by users. Examples include: ER / XR / XL (extended release), SR (slow release), LP (8-hour release), MR / CR / CD (controlled release), LA (effect prolonged), EC (enteric-coated tablets), OCAS, Chrono, Retard (slow).
Besides, pharmacist Thu advised patients to use the drug should note the following rules:
– For capsules (hard cysts, soft capsules) if there is no further instruction, take the capsule, not open the capsule.
– For medicines with unpleasant taste, replace with another dosage form with a more pleasant taste of the same active ingredient (if any).
– Should wear masks and gloves when in direct contact with cytotoxic drugs.
– For the remaining members after breaking, place in zipper pocket to avoid moisture, store below 30 degrees C and avoid direct sunlight.
– When it is uncertain whether a pill is broken or not, consult a pharmacist, a doctor and a professional.